1. The proposed minutes of the September 4th meeting were approved after some minor corrections were made. The approved minutes will be sent to all members of the Faculty Senate.
2. The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, September 24th, at 2:30 p.m. in the Continuous Learning Conference Room.
3. Professor Fischler distributed documents relevant to various issues the Committee will attend to during the 1997/98 academic year.
4. The Chair will request that the Academic Dean determine the status of the proposal concerning the deletion of the Physical Fitness requirement. Will the Committee receive a new proposal? Do the documents already received through Professor Donn need to be supplemented? Who will introduce the proposal?
5. If or when it becomes necessary, Professor Fred Glennon will report to the Committee on issues relating to the CAPHE grant. The Committee will work to offer any assistance it can in this area.
6. Professor Donn will continue to work with Mr. James Simonis on a proposal for revised (but not faculty) status for librarians.
7. The Dean is to consult with HEOP and the Student Senate about the new policy on academic disqualification and report back to the Committee.
8. The Committee established a list of issues that it placed on its "active" list and prioritized them.
8.1 The highest priority will be given to various proposals (including one from Professor Edward Judge) to amend the MWF class schedule.
8.2 Second in priority is a proposal being prepared by Professor Tooker on classroom space and on a mechanism that a faculty member might employ to obtain a room necessary for a particular class format.
8.3 A proposal from Charles Kelly on restricting the scheduling of intercollegiate athletic events is third on the priority list.
8.4 The Committee will next consider a proposal from the Academic Dean on copy fees.
8.5 Finally, a proposal by Professors R. Kelly, Langdon, and Shefrin to provide first-year advisors the option of receiving one credit per year toward a future course load reduction in lieu of a stipend will be considered.
9. Professor Fischler will request from the Dean the rules and regulations which govern the number of hours adjunct faculty are permitted to teach each semester.
10. Professor Donn will chair the sub-committee evaluating the Director of Career Services and Continuous Learning, while Professor Krause will chair the sub-committee charged with the evaluation of the Dean of Enrollment Management.
11. Professor Fischler will ask President M. K. Collins about what, if any, progress has been made in the implementation of the Executive Board's unanimous vote of April 3, 1996, recommending that the administration undertake a cost study to determine the feasibility of going to a 3/3 load for all full-time faculty.
Charles J. Kelly